don't like HTML email? here's your fix.

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:03:56 -0800

Wednesday, March 29, 2000, 7:26:09 AM, David wrote:
> Some might argue that the increased ability to format makes it easier for
> those that are not familiar with the conventions to read but whether or not
> that is true is beside the point.

    David, it is not possible to format in HTML.  It certainly isn't possible
to format in any manner that would have 2 clients render it in an identical
fashion.  You must remember that email clients only offer a /very/ limited
subset of HTML and none of it offers any formatting above and beyond what you
can do with plain ASCII.

    To put it another way, it takes HTML 4.0 to use CSS and absolute
positioning.  Yet the two largest 4.0 browsers, IE and NS, cannot even agree
on how to implement it.  Therefore HTML pages which use the latest 4.0 tags
look radically different on the two major browsers.

    That is not formatting at all.