TZ... Again (OT)

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:11:56 -0400 (AST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:54:53 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>or RTC), neither does it ever change it's internal "software"
>clock that is initialised from the RTC at boot, and then
>subsequently maintained independently of the RTC while OS/2
>is up and running. OS/2 Commands that set the time, affect only
>this independent software clock, and NOT the realtime clock.

This is an interesting statement. If this is the case and OS/2
commands *never* affect the realtime clock, then how are time changes
persistent from boot to boot? Or how, when I change my clock in OS/2,
do the changes also appear when I boot to Win98?

I think you must be mistaken. Surely the OS/2 commands update the RTC
too.

Or maybe does OS/2 change the RTC, based on its internal "software"
clock at shutdown? This seems unwise because traps could possibly
mess things up if the software clock had been changed.

>So, after a time change, one ought to go into the BIOS setup
>(the next convenient reboot will do) and set the RTC to the
>correct local time (i.e. what your watch says!).
>
>Changes using the "time" or "net time" commands or from packages
>such as DST switch (and probably timekeeper/2 - I've not seen it),
>do *not* get saved to the hardware clock. So you should do this

AHA! Finally, I've proved you wrong! :-)

I just changed my time on my OS/2 system by typing "time" at a
command line and entering an arbitrary time (5:05). I shut down OS/2
and entered my system's BIOS setup and voila! the system's RTC was
reading 5:05.

OK, so what is the explanation? Did I misunderstand your instructions
above?

Seriously, I'm a bit puzzled at your statements. If they were true,
there would be no way for a standalone computer to ever retain, from
one boot to the next, time changes made in OS/2.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6