don't like HTML email? here's your fix.

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:26:12 -0400 (AST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:13:42 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>The *only* way to guarantee layout in email is to use plain text,
>manually laid-out/wrapped using a non-proportional font, all in
>a STANDARDS CONFORMANT email program (HTML or no HTML)!

No, this is not correct.

For the same (accurate) reasons you give that HTML formatted email
can not be guaranteed to look the same on the receiving end as they
do to the sender, plain text email can not be guaranteed to look the
same to the sender and receiver either -- even if you use a
non-proportional font.

The reason is just like HTML -- you have no control over and no idea
how the receiver's client works. Does it display the font the sender
specifies or does it display in the font the receiver specifies? I'm
sure you realize that many email clients display in whatever font the
receiver specifies.

Mine, for example, is currently using a proportional font. Therefore,
your messages to me may not be laid out the way you intended them,
even in plain text.

I'm not arguing for HTML email -- I think rich text markup is a good
idea but I also agree we need standards, not "embrace and extend"
monopolization. However, we don't have a standard that anyone is
adhering to with plain text if you consider that different clients
are allowing users to set fonts.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6