TZ... Again (OT)

Norm pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:55:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:17:19 -0400 (AST), Trevor Smith wrote:

>> When TZ is not present, the default is EST5EDT, the "C" locale value. When only
>> the standard time zone is specified, the default value of n (difference in hours
>> from GMT) is 0 instead of 5.
>
>You know, it strikes me as very egocentric that TZ defaults to
>EST/EDT if the SET TZ statement isn't present. Shouldn't it default
>to UT?
>
>The way it is is like saying the "default" is -5 hrs from the
>"standard".

     I've always wondered about that.  I live in the EST/EDT zone, and
when installing anything that required a TZ setting I've always
wondered why it usually defaulted to the correct value.  I couldn't for
the life of me think of a way this sort of value could be 'sniffed',
but then again why was the default value almost always correct...so now
I know :-).

--
 ...Cheers,

 ...Norm

* Brought to you by OS/2 Warp v4.0 and PMMail *
* For a copy of my PGP key send me a message  *
* with "send pub_key" in the subject          *