Curious dating behavior in PMMail 2000

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:52:23 +0100

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:44:07 -0500, Michael Baum wrote:

>When you open one of his messages,
>the date window "correctly" reports a day in 1972. On  the whole
>you'd kind of exepct his mail to all sort to the bottom of a folder sorted by
>message date, but in that context (a folder display, that is) the year is reported
>as 3872, so in fact they all sort to the top.
>
>Curious.

That's because the date window simply shows the contents of the Date:
header in the message file, as it should.

The folder view stores the date referenced to some point or other and
it so happens that a date that far back is pre PC era and so displays
in a rather bizarre way. Remember that the Unix file system works in
seconds after 1 January 1970 and the PC did not appear until after 1
January 1980. That probably explains it, but no why the ISP is burying
their head in the sand rather than fixing their problem correctly.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails