Authenticating email

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 17:08:34 +0100 (BST)

>Sorry, but I disagree.  Not everyone is a geek

Indeed - it is too much to expect "ordinary people" to get PGP
installed and working on their PCs - I recently tried to get a
US AOL user (yes, I know!), going with PGP (over email);  we gave
up!

I did point him at PMMail2k Professional, but we didn't want to
screw up his ISP setup and I have no idea if PMMail2k would
work with AOL (anyone know?).

>and the whole idea of digital signatures is rather foreign to most people.
Not for very much longer - they're going to be "required" sooner
or later.  It's also not a hard concept - it's a "signature" which
is "digital" and is unique to the combination of sender and the data
it signs - it is not really necessary that people understand about
cryptographic checksums etc to understand the concept of a digital
sig (though it can't hurt if they do!).

A quote from the "What is a digital signature" page at
http://www.youdzone.com/signature.html

"A digital signature is a "stamp" Bob places on the data which is
 unique to Bob, and is very difficult to forge. In addition, the
 signature assures that any changes made to the data that has been
 signed cannot go undetected."

Simon