PM Mail/2 under a Novel/Pegasus system

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:12:39 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 18 May 2000 11:01:41 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Thursday, May 18, 2000, 4:46:55 PM, Pieter wrote:
>> Originally, we had a SMTP/POP3 setup, but for various security reasons, this
>> setup was changed to a Novell (Netware) setup using PMail for both internal
>> and external use.
>
>*cough*bullshit*cough*
>
>    Sorry, something caught in my throat there.

You do go off a bit half cocked sometimes Steve - the smtp/pop system may have
been running on Windows 3.1 for all you know, and certainly needn't have
been secure - you've no idea if the the alleged securty reasons had anything
to do with the email system!  They may even have replaced NT with NetWare!

Just 'cos something uses ip doesn't make it unix and it certainly doesn't
make it secure (ip: the network system designed by the US defence research
agency that regularly used plain text passwords, hmmm!).

Older novell systems at least (I've not seen 5) are often secure from
outside interference, if only because they're often not connected to the
internet (or only via email gateways as in this case) - and you just can't
telnet into a novell server - there's no such concept!

Have you ever heard of hackers breaking into a netware server?

Simon