PM Mail/2 under a Novel/Pegasus system

Pieter Kruger pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 19:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Thu, 18 May 2000 15:51:50 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>How is pmail used at your site? Can your pmail/netware users send email
>out to the internet, or is it an internal system only?

Under Windows, email can be send out to the internet, and internally.

>When you read your email using pmmail, presumably you have pointed your
>"SMTP Path to incoming mail" to point to your netware mail directory
>on the novel server and "luckily" pmail must store the email in the
>correct (unix mailbox?) format.

Yes.

>But when you send (internal) mail using pmmail, how does it get to
>other pmail/netware users - there must be a gateway somewhere
>(unless you simply cannot send mail to internal pmail users)?

This I don't know. I assume there must be some sort of gateway as you said.

>I would try to find out why you cannot depend on the continued availability
>of your smtp server, since open standards and ip is the future and netware
>is the past!

Originally, we had a SMTP/POP3 setup, but for various security reasons, this setup
was changed to a Novell (Netware) setup using PMail for both internal and external
use.  Since I am the only OS/2 user, I was told that I am basically on my own. By
luck, I found a SMTP server in our network domain that would accept my email. I thus
use this SMTP server to send/receive both internal and external(internet) mail. The
network admin said they have no plans to shut this SMTP server down, but I am just
worried that since I am the only non-Windows/pmail user, they could decide to shut it
down, unless this server is currently used to send and receive the pmail in any case.

I just thought that PMMail could handle a Novell/Pegasus setup for sending mail as
well as receiving mail.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Regards

Pieter Kruger