UUencoding, UUdecoding, etc.

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 17:09:34 -0700

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 02:00:20AM +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2000 01:40:19 +0300, Cristian Secara wrote:

> >From home, [...]
> ^
> Huh ? The ">" here does not exists on my sent message copy.
> Server joke ?

    Not really.  Messages are stored in mbox format in a lot of places.  Mbox
says that the messages are divided by "from" lines.  "/nFrom ....".  This
means any line in a message which starts with "From " needs to be escaped.
The character chosen was >.  However, servers don't know when to remove it
since people might quote it.  Kinda sucks, huh?