Well allright then [Was Listar: Post rejected by administrivia.]

Michael Baum pmmail@dmiyu.org
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:03:47 -0500

On Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:53:46 -0800 (PST), Listar wrote:

>Your post appears to contain a valid Listar command as the
>subject, or one of the first few lines. The post has
>been forwarded to the list administrator in case it
>is a real post.  If you were trying to issue a command
>send it to listar@dmiyu.org instead.
>
>Matched pattern: ^.* help .*$

Oh for crying out loud. I can't use the word help as part of the subject of a request
for help from readers without having to bother the list administrator?  I'm sorry, but
that's ridiculous.  Here's the help-filter-avoiding message:

Subject: Need help with variables in PMMail 2000 filters

I sincerely hope this isn't an FAQ, but in any event I need help with using variable
expressions in a filter for PMMail 2000.

The goal is to write a filter that intercepts incoming email from a select group of
addresses -- members of my familty, actually -- and route it to a particular folder. To
do this, I created a filter, specified it as "complex" and (trying my best to follow the
documentation) used the following expression:

H.Fromid = "$ab.Family$"

As I read it, this should extract the email address from the "From:" field in the
message header and compare it to all email addresses stored in the Address Book
"Family", returning true if it encounters a match, and then proceed to Take
Appropriate Action.

It don't work. Does anyone notice what I've done wrong? (Except, possibly, trusting
Help files?)

Thank you,
maab