this is appropriate...

Steve Wendt pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:19:01 -0700 (PDT)

LINUXPLANET: .COMMENT: ARE WE ASKING FOR IT?

"We've witnessed macros that run automatically -- how many
billions of dollars did that cost? We've had the joys of HTML
mail, which quickly got exploited by spammers as a way of
verifying email addresses so that the recipient could become a
more attractive spam target. We have had, though not seen widely
(yet) exploits that run programs and macros attached to mail
without the mail even being opened. We have cookies that tell
people who don't identify themselves things about us that we
do not give them permission to know, which at least one company
has tried to sell."

COMPLETE STORY:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2415/1/

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
     - Plato (427-347 B.C.)