[Crossposted to 4 lists -- getting desperate] OS/2 file misoperation

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:32:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 07 Oct 00 18:05:49 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

>Suddenly some functions no longer work:

<snip>

>What is the answer, or what is the way to trace or diagnose the
>failure?   I have some utilities (Unimaint, Gammatech) and I loaded
>Theseus, but I have never used nor do I know how.   But I'm willing
>to learn.
>
>Please send good news.

Several questions/suggestions

1.  Have you updated or added any hardware or software recently?  If
so, what?

2.  Running Unimaint on a semi regular basis is a very good idea.
Using the 'Repair Ini' function can often clear up some weird problems
such as the ones you describe which occur in multiple programs. Reboot
after completion to see if the problems disappear.

3.  If you have a recent backup from just before the problems started,
you might try making a backup of your current x:\os2\os2sys.ini,
x:\os2\os2.ini, x:\config.sys files and then restore those same files
from the earlier backup to see if that clears up the problems. Reboot
after restoring the older files.

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron.com