Rude, rude, rude!

Nigel Clarke pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 14:59:58 -0400

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:50:24 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

snip
>Just to give an example somewhere else, my ISP promised to allow people
>to sign up for a new unmetered calls deal before the end of August. We
>all knew that the announcement would need to be made earlier than start
>of service to give people time to enter the new access numbers (you
>really don't want to know about UK telecoms at this level!) and sign up
>for the ISP's 24/7 access arrangements (the default is for off-peak
>access only, which suits many people). Today, on the last day of the
>month in which the service was to be made available, they have
>announced that they need to put in more capacity still to avoid
>everything falling over instantly as everyone connects and stays logged
>on from the word go.  Some additional capacity is already in place, it
>takes a tie up between the ISP and British Telecom to do this because
>of the way that the traffic is routed off the main voice trunk links
>onto dedicated IP backbones and so the actual launch of service will be
>on October 9th.

I would actually bet that this 'equipment' is the line that passes all your email
through the UK security services. With that new bill just put through anyone
sending or receiving email via the UK can expect to get every email logged,
recorded and examined. What to bet that downloads of PGP go through the
roof - especially the early versions without the backdoor security hole.

Nigel