PMMail for OS/2 displays darker

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:10:41 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:52:18 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Maybe as of, what, 5-6 years ago.  Every video card I've bought in recent
>memory have drivers that allow the user to adjust loads of settings on the
>video card.

No, as of now!  In order to get the same colours across machines, you
have to calibrate to take into account not only the differences in
tolerances of the display hardware (particularly the DACs), but also the
monitor electronics and phosphor AND for the ambient lighting conditions!
Because Macs are "proprietry" this is *relatively* straightforward
(though still complex), with PCs the task would be very much more
onerous, due to the huge variety of hardware in use - MS promised this
facility in Win95 - it certainly isn't in Win98 or NT4, but possibly
may be in 2000 or ME(?).

ISTR Macs let you calibrate your printer to your display h/w also, so
that there is a better correlation between the colours on the screen and
those printed on paper.

Simon