OT: Colour Management (was Re: PMMail for OS/2 displays darker)

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:30:03 +0100 (BST)

>I shall attempt not to further this thread!
Oops! Call me a liar! :-) Apple's colour management framework is
called ColorSync - search on the web for "colorsync" and
"color management" etc if interested.

There are apparently a few colour management offerings which are
supperior to Apple's - these colour management packages cost 10s
of thousands of dollars, which buys you software, a spectrophotometer(!)
and training which allows you to calibrate and match the colours
between your scanners, digital cameras, printers and monitors etc, even
allowing for "device drift" via some kind of statistical analysis (color
drift is the change in colour over time, e.g. as your monitor warms up
and also as it ages).

The reason this stuff is so expensive is that it's very hard to do
because the goal is ultimately impossible - you simply can't match all
the colours given out by a device like a monitor that *emits* light, with
things like printers which produce output that &reflect* light).

Simon