Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:37:47 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:20:58 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>I would have no problem whatsoever if PMMail/2 were able to display
>HTML messages without opening up my browser.

The whole area of HTML mail is nothing but problematic - the fact that
you may or may not be aware of the wide ranging technical problems is
immaterial.  We've done this topic to death many times, the bottom line is
HTML has no place in email clients, it was never designed to work in email
clients and the standards to make HTML email clients interwork together
consistently simply don't exist. HTML email can *only* serve to make an
email client *far* more complex, more incompatible with other clients, and
is a huge source of aditional bugs and security holes. It also forces
users to upgrade all the time since the HTML standards evolve so fast - not
even NS or MS are able to keep up with the w3c standards with their web
*browsers* (for which HTML is intended).

Basically, if you want Outlook, get it and enjoy the richness of your
viruses in a nice 24pt flashing red Verdana(TM) font.

If you want to try to guarantee that new *mail* related and
usability features are left out of PMMAil, shout for "proper" HTML
support (despite the fact that there is no such thing).  That should
keep the 2(?) programmers occupied for three or four years to come.

Simon