Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:08:27 -0300

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:30:24 -0400 (EDT), Gregory L. Marx wrote:

>Plus, as someone else noted already, much digest mail comes only as HTML ...
>I think it's time to back away from the "pure" text stance ...

Sigh. Ok, I'll get into this too.

Discarding the very legitimate arguments about appropriateness,
billions of man-hours to code it, etc. consider this question when
you ask for HTML in your email client:

what do you want the email client to do with HTML?

Answer completely and precisely for every HTML tag you can think of.

If you say exactly what you want to happen with HTML tags in email
messages, and if the majority of customers want the same thing, I
suppose a company would likely work to achieve it.

But saying, "I want HTML support in my email" is like saying, "I want
liquid in my cereal." What liquid? How much? What should it taste
like? What should it look like? Should it be sweet or poisonous? Etc.

There is no HTML standard for email clients. It is not possible to
know what people want when they say, "I want HTML support." It is not
possible to produce the same effects as another company which
provides HTML "support" in their email client.

JUST TO BE CLEAR, the above is a synopsis of relevant comments on
this list over the months. This is NOT A STATEMENT BY BLUEPRINT
SOFTWARE WORKS and I am only making conversation, NOT MAKING A
PROMISE OR REFUSAL OF FUTURE FEATURES.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor