HTML Rendering in PMMail/2

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:07:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:13:09 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>6.  FUD.  It surprises me how much FUD is being floated around here
>about the horror and impossibility of incorporating basic HTML
>rendering in PMMail/2.  I've seen claims that to do so would take BSW
>several years and inestimable amounts of money which would surely
>bankrupt the company and inevitably lead to the downfall of Western

Since only two of us (of the messages that I have received) commented
about this subject thus far, I must respond.

Gosh, I don't recall making any statements anything like the above.
Noone said it was impossible, etc.  I will restate that the problem
is that decent tools preexist in the windows development environment
that make this a snap on that platform, whereas on OS/2 reasonably
useful tools like that do not exist.  As someone pointed out, there
was an API to WebEx.  But it is slow and doesn't render well, and
hasn't been maintained.  This is not FUD.  It is fact.

As someone else pointed out, they (SouthSoft) implemented the "clickable
column headers" for PMINews/2.  However, IMO, they didn't work nearly
as well as the same feature under Windows, and they never did produce
a delivered HTML renderer.

>civilization.  To the best of my knowledge, BSW hasn't commented one
>way or the other so why are people here so anxious to take on the role

It is technically true that *BSW* hasn't commented on it.  But as I
stated in my post, SouthSoft *did* comment about it (either on the list
or through a tech support message, I don't recall) after the first
release of their Windows version that did HTML rendering.  Unfortunately,
I have deleted my archive of PMMail-L on my machine here, but I ought
to have it at home.  I browsed the archive on rpglink, but there are
large gaps in the sequence around that time.

Rodney

--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.