Why this phobia to HTML mail?

xavier caballe pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:35:38 +0200

>Absolutely! HTML is for the web. No one has any goddamn business putting
>that crap in mail.

That's right in a perfect world... unfortunately, real world is far from perfect, so there's a lot of useful information delivered only thru HTML mail. For
instance, there are some newspapers that only allow two options:

-Go to their web page and read the content there.
-Receive a HTML message, so you can read with your regular mail.

Of course, you can blame them or you can politely ask them to support other formats, such as Acrobat Reader or plain text. Problem is that most of the
people I know is happy with HTML mail. Just people from this list is stubborn to 'No HTML mail support at all'.

I believe that, from BSW point of view --and for PMMail survival--, the fact must be: how much people will use PMMail if we decide to not support HTML
against how much people will be interested in use PMMail if we offer a decent HTML support. And I strongly believe that not support HTML at all means
that PMMail will be useful just for a few people --the ones on this list and a few more-- but this won't be enough people to let it survive. Just remember
the OS/2 case.

I understand that you don't like HTML mail. Ok, just ask for a switch to disable that option... and everybody will be happy. I don't understand the
generalized phobia that some people on this list has to this feature: if you don't like, don't use it! That's fine for me. But please let me decide by myself
if I want to use it.

Xavi
---
Foghorns blowing in the night, salt sea in the morning breeze,
driving cars all allong the coastline... This must be what paradise is like