Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:42:20 -0700

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:55:02AM +0100, Simon Bowring wrote:
> Nowadays, users want to use HTML to get near WYSIWYG results (like
> they expect from a Word Processor), they believe how they see their
> web page is how others see it, but this is only guaranteed true if
> they use the same version of the same broswer.

    Of course this is ignoring the fact that you can't even get WYSIWYG
results in Word Processors.  I wrote a document in Star Office, exported in
Word97 format.  Took it to work and looked at it in Word 2000.  The page break
between page one and page two was 1 line off between Star Office and Word2000
on the exact same Word97 document.  What is worse is that there was /no/
mathematical reason for the difference.  Font size was the same, margins were
at the same place and so on.

> support this fully, let alone emailers!  The nearest *commercial*
> browser to meet these standards is apparanely MS IE 5.5 for Mac - MS
> IE 5.5 for Windows comes no where close!

    Bzzzt, Opera is the closest to the standards.  Many web designers now
design for Opera because when they read the standard and code it /it/ and not
a browser Opera is the one that displays perfectly.