WYSIWYG diffs (was: Re: Questions for PMMail Tech Support)

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:42:20 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Of course this is ignoring the fact that you can't even get WYSIWYG
>results in Word Processors.  I wrote a document in Star Office, exported in
>Word97 format.  Took it to work and looked at it in Word 2000.  The page break
>between page one and page two was 1 line off between Star Office and Word2000
>on the exact same Word97 document.

I have noticed the same.  In fact, use StarOffice on Linux, and take
the same document to StarOffice on Windows, and you will see this
sometimes.

>                                    What is worse is that there was /no/
>mathematical reason for the difference.  Font size was the same, margins were
>at the same place and so on.

What leads you to believe there is no mathematical reason?  Have you looked
at the source code and algorithms to verify this?  In fact, you invadvertantly
pointed out what I believe *is* the reason- fonts.  The fonts are slightly
different sizes, even though they are the "same".  This problem extends to
printing as well as viewing on the screen.

Rodney
--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.