WYSIWYG diffs (was: Re: Questions for PMMail Tech Support)

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:13:08 -0300

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:20:56 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Falls back to the exact same thing.  I checked all the settings,
>everything, they were all identical.  I don't care what format it is.  When I
>say the margins are so, the font is thus and the spacing is this it should
>come out as laid out.  The save format is an ecapsulation of that data.

Of course it "should". But Microsoft, I believe, writes and changes
its formats specifically so that other programs fail to achive 100%
success when importing/exporting. StarOffice may have thought it was
writing a proper Word formatted file but it may have been off enough
that Word read it differently. StarOffice, of course, can read a Word
file as well as it can write one (however well that is) so it would
look the same in StarOffice, but slightly different in Word. Just a
theory.

I have never in my entire life imported a file from one word
processor to another and had the formatting work out the same on
both. This includes such old faithfuls as WP6.1 files into the
current MS Word.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor