NEWS FLASH!

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:07:03 -0400 (EDT)

>> Problem is that most of the people I know is happy with HTML mail.
>
>That's the sort of mindlessness that lead to the dominance of windos.

Yes, Windows is dominant now, and for the foreseeable future.  HTML
email will not go away, because MS Outlook, by virtue of the dominance
of Windows, has created a de facto standard for HTML email.  People on
this list can argue back and forth about the impossibility and
irresponsibility of incorporating HTML into email because of a "lack of
standards" or desirability, but that completely ignores the fact that a
de facto standard has already been created by MS.  Where the front 90%
of the trains goes, the rest is sure to follow.

If denial is your thing, then by all means continue to argue about the
viability of HTML email and the perceived lack of standards.  While
you're doing that, the rest of the world will continue to evolve and
grow and take on new challenges and opportunities and OS/2 will become
increasingly irrelevant.

More and more OS/2 users will be forced to migrate to Windows or other
still evolving OS's just to be able to conduct simple business with
their customers or exchange letters with their friends.  It's a shame
that the only support some PMMail/2 users demand from BSW is a promise
not to officially announce PMMail/2's abandonment, because when you ask
for nothing, that's generally what you receive.  I've alway believed
that in order for OS/2 to survive, it needed to keep growing and
changing.  Maintaining the status quo will do nothing but guarantee
even fewer users in the future.

Ralph Cohen
rpcohen@neurotron.com