Why this phobia to HTML mail?

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:06:19 +0100

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:21:33 -0400, Larry Ebbitt wrote:

>I'm not familiar with the economics involved. I am only interested in
>the OS/2 and Linux versions.  They can befoul the windos stuff all they
>want.  If they can't make money with them, then they will drop them. At
>least I hope so, rather than ruin them.

Like you I am not familiar with the economics of producing OS/2 software
but I would hazard a guess that it isn't profitable.

I suppose that there is just a small chance that if the OS/2 version of
PMMail  was  "befouled" by the addition of html capability  enough people
might buy it to make the operation viable.

I now use the Windows version of PMMail having abandoned OS/2 when
it became obvious that IBM were proposing to do the same thing. The
performance of this version seems to be every bit as good as that of the
OS/2 version in spite of the addition of html capability. I find it useful to be
able to read e-mails sent to me in this format and out of courtesy I reply to
html e-mails from my clients in the same format.

I would guess that 95 per cent of the e-mails I receive are composed using
Outlook Express and PMMail 2000 and seems to read html mail generated
by this application perfectly adequately.

I get the impression that you feel that html e-mail will bring an end to
civilisation as we know it but I see no evidence of this. Then maybe none
of those quaintly named RFCs on the subject of html e-mail but I suspect
that the de facto standard is rapidly becoming Outlook Express.

Large numbers use this application,with or without html formatting,
because it enables them to communicate with other people; if it didn't they
wouldn't.

There is no body that issues RFCs for the English language; it evolves,
usage and conventions change and a lexicographers record these changes
but don't initiate them. There are some here in the UK that deplore the
new words and changing usage often initiated by your compatriots; if they
knew what html was I don't doubt they would deplore its use in e-mails ...

David