Java Performance/Python etc

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:20:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:54:16 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Java was not.  When you can tell me how a "Bean" somehow references what
>came before it I'll concede.

Shared Object.  Dynamic Library.

I actually have to agree with Steve's sentiment, in part, on this
Java terminology thing.  It is absolutely amazing to me the number of
people who "do" Java (and are even serious programmers) that don't
understand how it does things, and that it really doesn't do anything
that couldn't be done before.  People actually sell ideas by saying
that Java can do this or that, and implying that it can't be done
with other languages ("platform independence" is an example of this).

I'm not saying, however, Java is a bad thing.  On the contrary, it
makes doing some tasks much simpler, and automates many of the things
one wants to do that are a PITA in other languages.  Shared libraries
(Beans) are an example of that.

Maybe Sun chose new names deliberately- not as marketing for marketing's
sake, but to divorce the technology from term that give people cold
chills (dlopen, dlsym, link_map, etc.).

Could be worse.

They could've use a name for the language that implies that it will
strangle you, rather than get you pumped up. :-)

Rodney
--
Rodney R. Korte
rkorte@psu.edu