Rephrasing the Questions

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:56:06 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:16:18 -0700, John Bridges wrote:

>>> company perhaps $150,000 or more, you can see that a few thousand
>>> doesn't go very far.
>>
>>    Curious where that figure came from when I am certainly not that level in
>>title and am not even breaking three figures.
>
>I assume they are including overhead, support staff and so on in that figure,
>or perhaps were quoting the amount you pay for consultant rates (which, for
>in demand fields, can be amazingly high).

I thought it was too high as well, but a) salaries are higher in the
US than the UK where I am, and b) when I did a business studies course
(in the UK) many years ago now, the rule of thumb was that a cost of
an employee (including all overheads etc) was approx double their
salary, I suspect $75,000 is not out of the question for a programmer
in the US; some of our senior programmers' earnings here at MPC data
almost begin to *approach* that vague *ball-park* (but are certainly
not actually in it!).

Simon