Java Performance/Python etc

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:59:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:52:26 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:20:42 -0400 (EDT), Rodney R. Korte wrote:
>
>>and that it really doesn't do anything that couldn't be done before.
>Sorry, but Java really does allow things that have never been implemented
>in any other (mainstream) langauge - an example follows in a moment!
>
>>People actually sell ideas by saying that Java can do this or that, and
>>implying that it can't be done with other languages ("platform
>>independence" is an example of this).

>Java has a higher level of platform independence than any other
>language - to the extent of being able to "serialiaze" a live running

I never said it didn't, did I?  Do I have to suggest again that
you get out some books on logic?

>object with all it's methods and state, compress (zip) it up, transfer
>it to one or more remote machines (running differnt OS's and with
>different CPUs) and then remotely invoke the objects' methods.
>No other language provides this functionality, and I'd be interested in
>how you think this can be implemented in C++ (it can't without writing
>an entire language and platform independant *compiler or interpretter*,
>i.e. without writing something like java!).

Yes, it's neat.  And yes, you *can* do it with other languages.  You
just need the framework.   As I stated before, Java's strength is in
the fact that much (most) of this is built-in, making it easier to use.

>>Shared libraries (Beans) are an example of that.
>Java Beans are *not* equivalent to shared libraries/DLLs, any/all
>Java classes can be used or thought of as "shared libraries".

The you don't understand as much as you claim to.  Shared libraries
in and of themselves aren't, no.  But shared libraries with the
correct information in them are.  Which is what I said.

>Beans are "components" more akin MS's .VBXs and .OCXs or whatever
>they're called today - Java beans are technically superior though,
>because they can participate in inheritance and are cross-platform.

You are correct.  And so am I.  Why are we arguing?
--
Rodney R. Korte
rkorte@psu.edu