[pmmail-list] PMMail 2000 Not Picking up Daylight Savings time change

Bruce Francis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:49:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:23:28 -0600, Paul J. Christiansen wrote:

>Anybody notice that PMM 2000 is not picking up the fact that Windows now shows the proper
daylight
>savings time, but is showing us standard time?

Yeah, I think a few (dozen) people have noticed that.

And your next (unasked) question:  no, I haven't seen any response from BSW.
=====================================

Now a (small) project for someone with Windows programmin capability.  I
am running a Rexx exit from both PMMail/2 and PMINews which calls
(with proper arguments) an OS/2 program "GetTZ".  GetTZ parses the Config.sys
TZ=  command and then force-sets the timezone in either PMMail or PMINews
based on the finding.

Even though some recent PMMail releases have touted "TZ compatibility" I
have left this call in.  I have not seen the problems reported, but I am in the U.S.
and according to someone's wonderful post recently I doubt that I would see the
problem described.

If someone with Windows programming setup wants to go to:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/mail/reader/pmm/gettz11.zip

the archive has the source for the parser.  You could recompile it to run under
Windows and test it.  If it works then we might have an interim solution....

Here is the Rexx exit I'm using:

=============  SetTZ.cmd  ============
/**/
  '@echo off'

  'GetTZ F:\SouthSde\PMMAIL\PMMAIL.INI GLOBAL TZOFFSET'
  exit

One last thing:  PMMail (and PMINews) only make the check for
timezone when the program starts up -- if you're leaving PMMail open
for a long time (eg, over the daylight savings time change) it will not
make a change until it is restarted.

---
Bruce Francis              BFrancis@pobox.com
 For PGP Public key:  email with Subject "BFrancis Public Key"