[pmmail-list] PMMail/2... other issues

pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 08 Apr 2001 15:33:06 +0000

raphaelt@att.net wrote:

> >1) I'm having a hard time getting batchfiles to
> >run under MIME associations.  I can't remember
if
> >I've ever gotten this working, but -- what I'd
> >most like to do is use "antiword" to translate
> >Word files into something else.  I've got a
> >batchfile called "antiword2.cmd" that contains
the
> >following:
>
> Cmd files under OS2 are text-based files
interpreted by the Rexx
> interpreter. Only binary application executables
can be specified and run
> by MIME association. In your MIME association
you can specify
> /antiword.exe/ but not a Rexx cmd file that
calls it.

Actually I think .cmd files must call Rexx, and if
they don't they're simply OS/2 batchfiles, but
yes, I see what you're saying.

Having antiword.exe as the program to be called
avails me naught since it outputs to stdout.  I
would like to call antiword.exe and set the
"parameters" at least to pipe the output to
another file:

%s>stink.txt

but this doesn't work.

I wish this weren't so difficult, but as yet I
can't find an elegant kludge.  And using a Rexx
filter on all my incoming mail for every one in a
hundred which contains a Word file isn't really
sensible, of course -- especially since I don't
really wish the procedure to work automatically,
but instead simply on an as-needed basis.

Obviously I can simply unattach each file manually
and then do the antiword thing, as I've been
doing... it's not such a big deal, but it seems
silly that I can't have a batchfile function as an
executable would.

> If the actual message files exist then most
likely the folder.ini or
> folder.bag file(s) have been corrupted. Close
PMMail, try deleting the
> folder.bag file in the effected folder, restart
PMMail and if necessary -
> reindex.

Yes, I know this is the workaround, and I've been
using it for four or five years now.  I was
actually reporting it as a bug in case it hadn't
been reported already.