[pmmail-list] PMInews

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:31:51 +0200, Gunnar Anzinger wrote:

<snip>

>If Stardock has no interest in PMInews any longer, it would be great if
>BSW would take it over, maintain it and port it to Windows. I would be
>happy to buy a newsreader with the same look and feel and the same quality
>like PMMail, but I hardly ever use OS/2 anymore.

Newsreaders are being used less and less as time goes on ... as is dedicated email software ...
Not to mention the fact that people EXPECT their internet software to be free since Microsoft gives away their Internet Explorer suite ... which
as we know includes a newsreader and an email client ...

Plus every copy of Office 97/2000 includes the full featured Outlook PIM ... and we mustn't forget that MS & Windows is something like 95% of
the marketplace ...

With all that weighing on a ISVs plate, how can we expect them to make a living out of selling email & newsreader software ???
There's no way that's going to happen ... although I certainly wish it would ... but for some damn reason not enough people are willing to pay
for good quality software that is dedicated to performing a very specific task ...

So we have to scrape on by with what is offered to us by the Blueprint Software Works of the world ... that is, smallish ISVs that can try real
hard to provide a good solid product ... where even having just a few percent of the marketplace can result in a wildly successful product ...

For the rest of the big players, email and newsreaders are throw away items ...
It sucks but it's the way it is ...

Greg