[pmmail-list] PMMail and network security issue.

Rich pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:31:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:02:52 -0400, Gene Gough wrote:

>I just searched my entire TRASH folder and the only  "claiming to be" come from Rich
><rich@bearlycomputing.com>.  Also, his ID was the only one using PGP that showed up in my trash folder and
>also had a hit on the word "claim".

I just did another search of my folder. I have almost 2300 messages stored in from this list and only two others show
up with the "claiming to be" from 'helo'.

One of them is from a gblx account like mine. This must be the way the server handles it, but it's still the way PMMail
sends it...

If BluePrint won't change it, I'll get around it somehow... And since Maynard was kind enough to give Weasel that test
(thanks), I could try running that. I found it and downloaded it last night. Doesn't look too difficult to set up, although
they admit there are minor inconveniences when running through a dial-up, but it's supposed to work. Then again,
that would only work for email I send out of this computer (the OS/2 one). Because the computer/workgroup name
would still be sent from the win machines... More to look into....

Thanks...

Rich...

Rich...

>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:10:32 -0500 (CDT), Maynard Riley wrote:
>
>=>On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:18:09 -0400 (EDT), Rich wrote:
>=>
>=>>Maybe, but it's not making it through your server. If you check your own headers, there's no "claiming to
>be" at the
>=>>end of the first received line.
>=>
>=>Rich, I've never seen "claiming to be" anywhere that I recall. Also, my
>=>posts to this list do not route through Weasel, but through my ISP.
>=>
>=>The HELO parameter as passed to both is 'captain', which you can see in
>=>the first Received line which is supplied by my ISP.
>=>
>=>the Received line of Weasel looks quite the same:
>=>
>=>v1.20) for ....
>=>
>=>The first 'captain' is the HELO argument supplied by PMMail; the second
>=>is Weasel's understanding of the name for its local IP, which I believe
>=>it takes from HOSTS, but don't know that for certain.
>=>
>=>I changed the HOSTS file just now, and sent myself a local message via
>=>Weasel. The header now shows:
>=>
>=>v1.20)
>=>
>=>Weasel may pick up the change in HOSTS if I restart it; but my version
>=>of PMMail/2 (v.2.00.150) picked it up right away.
>=>
>=>	`~Maynard
>=>
>=>
>=>
>=>
>=>
>=>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>=>line of the message body being...
>=>
>=>
>=>
>

>Gene Gough                                         IBM - Retired                                                  Marietta, GA
>Gough Family Page  :  http://www.goughfamily.com/home/albums.htm
>Gough History           :  http://www.goughfamily.com/familytree/goughtree.html
>Professional  Page    :  http://www.goughfamily.com/resume/software_expert.html
>

>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>line of the message body being...

Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless...Umm...Uhh....
  Oh - Heck...I never could remember all that "nice" stuff.