[pmmail-list] SirCam Virus Filtering Update

Maynard pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 08:20:34 -0500 (CDT)

I probably should have read all the messages, and had my coffee, before
typing this morning ;-}

Kris just injected to this discussion the possibility of a "mutation".
I wouldn't bet the farm on any of these little tweaks and differences
of filter criteria. I suppose that the worm itself may be mutatable, so
as to next month use different body text, fix it's lowercase header
line, whatever. Not only that, every mail agent through which the
message passes is capable of making modifications.

So each person gets to admit that whatever they're doing to protect
their clients, it is not permanently perfect, and the question becomes
whether to capture too much (false positive) or too little (false
negative), adn whether to manually process the filter results or not.

If you'd rather have false positives than to let one slip by, use lots
of 'or's and few if any 'and's.

False Positives are easier to work with because you have the message
which was falsely trapped. There's no telling what will happen to a
false negative message as it hits the rest of the filter stream. It
could become lost and leave no indication that there was a false
negative.

Part of my test of the "date: " string was to place a filter for just
that condition just ahead of the more comlete SirCam filter definition.
That way if the first failed to catch it, the second filter should get
it.
But that was more in the name of personal science than an attempt to
filter mail for an entire university.

I expect that most of us deploy filters through a process of testing
and watching them to see if they're working correctly, so there's
manual involvement in the early stages anyway, and moving message files
from the "trap" folder back to the inbox is no real big deal during
this phase of filter development.

SirCam is probably a good one for three stage processing.
1. ICSL filtering moves it to another Folder.
2. Operator examines trapped folder for false positives and as a
regular part of filter maintenance ;-}
3. Manual Filtering notifies sender or whatever else is desired.

If there's even any suggestion that it will mutate, then filters will
have to mutate with them, or at least be prepared to.
And the example here is perfect. By modifying the filter from requiring
both body lines to be present, to a filter which would accept either
body line, the probability of false positives rises; the safe thing to
do.

Later,

	`~Maynard