[pmmail-list] Sorting unread mail

Dr. Martin R. Hadam pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:03:54 +0100

 I know it has been brought up several times in the past, but I'd like
to address it once again: The read status considers all its properties
(unread, priority, replied-to, sent) equal - but in fact they are NOT.
So if your sort for read status, you end up with unread messages on top
(highly desired) but all responses, priority emails etc sorted to the
other end (ridiculous in most cases).

 But from a user point of view, I'd like to see all unread mail on to
and anything else sorted for subject (then date[s]). This is also most
likely the way people would sort their paperwork (unless for date only
in the first place).

 V2.x has introduced a workaround in that one can select "skip read
messages...." .

 Well, I have to say that this is NOT satisfactory. With email folders
of several thousand of messages, it's just not useful this way. I
always want to see the subject line before reading a message. With the
above workaround, you're just kicked into nowhere and confronted with a
new message, just because it happens to be the next one in the
alphabet.  If you have a new message in any folder, you need to open
the (read) top message, just to be able to use F12. To add ridicule to
clumsiness, if the "current" message is down the index, F12 gets the
About window, only to require opening a "dummy" window again and then
force you to push F11 in order to go backwards. Then, if you push a
such button inadvertantly a little longer, you might notice a
flickering on your screen - and you've read a whole bunch of messages.
Which ones? you guess. More so, as it happens on my screen, the email
window popping up inevitably covers part of the pmmail window, so it is
hard to tell if there are other messages to this subject. All in all,
this just does not make sense.

 I remember from previous discussions that I'm not the only one to feel
that way and I'd strongly suggest that such change should be
incorporated soon. I know you can do better than this.

 Thanks for looking into it.

 Martin

 Martin R. Hadam
 Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule