[pmmail-list] Restore and FOLDER.BAG

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 18:19:50 +0100 (MEZ)

  I just want to share with the people here on the list including
BPSW personnel a problem which I recently have had at a customer site
where I had installed PMMAil/2000, and how it was solved.

  PMMail did crash every time it had received a message. What had
happened?

  The one user had a disk crash and I had to install the system
completely new. An older version of PMMail could be recovered from a
backup on the server.

  Later I managed to recover all the other data from the crashed
disk, burned on a CD-R and copied the files to the users new disk.

  For the messages from the CD-R, I had created a new folder
"Recovered", where I simply copied the complete INBOX.FLD and
SENT.FLD from the CD, as they where on the disk before the crash.

  And that started the problem, in two stages:

  1) PMMail would scan all folders for the type number as recorded in
the FOLDER.INI, and it took the last folder to identify itself as the
INBOX.FLD, i.e. not the regular one, but the one recovered via my CD;

  2) since this was copied from CD, it was marked as Read-Only, and
PMMail crashed when it tried to register the email received in the
FOLDER.BAG.

  The first solution was to change the file attributes of all the
files in the recovered inbox, so that PMMail could change them.

   The second solution will be to change the status of the recoved
inbox, and for this I would need the information how this is
registered in the FOLDER.INI.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main