[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 Sys3175 Crash

Warner Young pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:47:28 -0800

Well, this is pretty well off-topic now, I guess...

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:30:26 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>[snip]
>
>For any product you have in the field, you want to make sure you have
>images of your build for anything out in the wild, so you can reproduce
>problems. You then migrate the fix forward into the current sources, if
>applicable. Version control is a big help here, as you can just check
>out sources for any given release.

I have a feeling Bob and Icon didn't use source control, but that's
just a guess.

>The big issue is how good one is at working from register dumps back to
>C source. As an embedded developer working on many architectures, I do
>this all the time, but many programmers have never seen assembler and
>depend on the IDE to hold their hands. The question I would have is
>whether Trevor and Peter know how to "get their hands dirty" and get
>down into the guts of the code. Can they switch to "mixed mode" (C
>intermixed with compiler-generated assembler) and figure out what's
>really going on? Perhaps more important, do their tools allow them this
>extra power?
>
>Ken
>mailto:shiva@well.com

Too true, about people not knowing assembler these days.  Peter *must*
be able to handle it, though, because I sent him assembler dumps and
some stack traces a while back, and he fixed a nasty crash that I was
seeing.  So maybe that's a hopeful sign.

-Warner