[pmmail-list] Alternatives

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:11:44 -0800

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 05:59:23 -0500 (EST), Gregory L. Marx wrote:

>How does switching to a *NIX based email client help those of us using either the WIN or OS2 versions of PMMail ???
>Are you suggesting changing from either windows or OS2 to Linux so as to not use PMMail ???

I figured anyone using OS/2 is open to alternative platforms. ;-)

But if email is a primary task, it may make sense to replace your OS.
Buy the app first, then the OS, then the hardware. (Evolution also has
a calendar and task system, making it a competitor to Outlook. Which is
probably why it outwardly resembles Outlook. But look deeper to see why
it's not.)

In my case, I intend to run Evolution on the server, and view it using
XFree86 over Cygwin on Windows. This can even be done remotely with
security through a ssh tunnel.

The thing that really sells me on it is the filter system. The simple
filter-specifiers are as powerful as ICSL, and you can also fall back
to full regex stuff. (I haven't yet had to use the "expression" filter
so I don't know just how fancy one can get.)

I haven't yet figured out how to do a multi-folder search, and that may
not yet be all there. But there is a notion of "virtual folders", in
which you can save the results of searches as if they were folders.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]