[pmmail-list] Archiving tools for PMMail/2

Robert Dahlem pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:11:34 +0100

Jim,

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:59:32 -0500 (EST), Jim Nuytens wrote:

>I need to start archiving my email accounts. There's just too much
>"stuff" in some of my folders and it's getting to be a problem that I
>simply can't live with much longer. Some of the folders have over 8,500
>messages.
>
>Needless to say, this is slowing PMMail/2 down and I've got to unload
>some of this stuff. I don't really want to delete much of the mail. I
>like to keep archives that I can refer back to if needed.

I have a folder structure like this:

  My Account
    Archives
      PMMail
        PMMail 2000
          PMMail 2000/01
          PMMail 2000/02
        PMMail 2001
          PMMail 2001/01
          PMMail 2001/02
      Other Mailing List (OLM)
        OLM 1999
          OLM 1999/01

Once a month I create some new folders and move the messages. This keeps
the number of messages in each folder as small as PMMail needs it to
operate with reasonable speed and also provides me with a searchable
archive (just check "Subfolders" when searching).

You have to avoid the infamous FAT filesystem anyway. With OS/2 use
HPFS, with NT use NTFS. Win9x users get what they deserve. :-)

With W2K or shared systems (Win and OS/2 on the same machine) or Win9x
(the "technologically challenged" ones :-) you might try to use FAT32.
Its available for OS/2 (freeware) and for NT too (commercial product).

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem@gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.