[pmmail-list] ACCT.INI files are corrupted!

R.T. van Ovost pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:32:28 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:02:37 -0400 (AST), PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:27:54 +0100 (CET), R.T. van Ovost wrote:
>
>>I found that my acct.ini files are corrupted. The files contain information that should
>>definitely not belong in the file.
>>Are there programs to read and edit these files?
>
>Unfortunately no.

Looking at the structure of the acct.ini file I see:

92 records of two (2) fields:
Description field: 128 chatacters wide !!!!
Value field: 256 characters wide!!!

I'm not a programmer but in my humble opinion this is rather oversized and not state of
the art.
Most of the fields are empty (256 characters!).

The extra information I am talking about is written in the Description field after the
description (plenty of room: 128 bytes minus the description =13 char at most).
So my guess is that the file does not write the full 128 bytes to disk, only the
description name + 1 extra char.
I think a more intelligent ini file is requested.

Still wonder why some acct.ini files are longer (35716 or 35440 bytes).

Ron.