[pmmail-list] ~Re: Bug, and request

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:52:08 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:59:51, Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:46:02 -0700 (MST), Ann Knight wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:21:14, Brian Morrison wrote:
> >
> >>I know it's a new feature, but if only PMMail could be set to thread by
> >>the message ID/reference headers like PMINews
> >
> > There's no such thing as Reference: in email (unfortunately).
>
> Don't agree, here are some headers from a mailing list I'm on:-

> Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:44:12 +0000
>
> As you can see, some mail clients can and do insert references headers,
> and also thread using them. Sadly, PMMail does neither of these things,
> it also does not generate its own message-ID, which would be a plus.

   Also please consider the following sections from RFC 822:

---- cut on ----------
     4.6.2.  IN-REPLY-TO

             The contents of this field identify  previous
correspon-
        dence  which this message answers.  Note that if message
iden-
        tifiers are used in this  field,  they  must  use  the
msg-id
        specification format.

     4.6.3.  REFERENCES

             The contents of this field identify other
correspondence
        which  this message references.  Note that if message
identif-
        iers are used, they must use the msg-id specification format.

   In other contexts I use Crosspoint (also known as XPOINT, or short
XP) which does support threading based on the message ID not only for
NetNews, but also for Mail. Good program. A OS/2 version is in the
making (see: www.crosspoint.de, www.xp2.de, or www.openxp.de)

Yours,

Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main