[pmmail-list] 2.2.2030 uploaded

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:09:42 +1100 (EDT)

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 03:15:01 +0100, Etienne S‚vin wrote:

>I don't think the email window is that much open in the linux email client world ...
>
>under OS/2 there is 4 or 5 clients
>under Windows much more but many are so yurk they let the windows wide open.....
>under linux ... many clients and smart ones ...

I teach Linux systems administration for IBM. I am assisting businesses to move to better servers (Linux or,
for higher security OBSD) so believe me I am hearing that there is definitely a window for a commercial email
client provided that it works on more than one desktop/scheme/window manager, certainly both KDE and Gnome.
The secret is that heterogeneous networks are beginning to move towards the desktop in terms of variety and
there will be a demand for products that work the same on many platforms. Productivity is up TCO down if
retraining can be avoided for <any> app.

The day of the Linux desktop taking over in spades is not here yet. It needs some mature apps to catch on and
quite a few tweaks before it is ready for prime time with the I-am-NOT-a-geek! crowd but the app writers who
wait until it takes off will miss the boat^H^H^H^H plane.

Of course if PMM is to succeed in this arena it will need to do something about that Greta Garbo address book!
(Sneakily getting back onto my topic du jour. Or should that be de l'an?

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.