[pmmail-list] 2.2.2030 uploaded

John Drabik pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:26:46 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:49:29 +0100, Etienne S‚vin wrote:

>>>..... In a world of free, open
>>>source software, I would ***GLADLY*** pay for a decent e-mail client
>>>for Linux.
>>
>>.... Are people out
>>there using commercial software under Linux, or they preffer to
>>use the free ones?

There is definitely commercial software for Linux, but it is balanced
by open source.  In many cases, the open source equivalents are as
good or better than anything you'll find under Doze (for example,
Gimp is, in my opinion, far ahead of PhotoShop, in part because the
OS underneath it doesn't crash every few hours on a large graphics
job).

My rule of thumb (there are MANY exceptions) is that, even now, you
get what you pay for; compare PMMail to, say, kmail - on second
thought, don't waste your time, because PMM is far ahead.  Ditto for
Netscape mail, etc.  Yes, there are great text-mode e-mail programs
for Linux, but I have to admit I'm spoiled, and don't want to use
them (Pine, for example).  With the volume of messages I get every
day, I want quick operation, the ability to select a group of
messages and file them or trash them, point-and-click to folders,
etc.  And why not?

>>My impression is that only a few people, less
>>than on the OS/2 world, will pay for the software they're going
>>to use.

I think that is *partially* correct; on Linux, as anywhere in life,
people are willing to pay for quality.  If you come out with a
mediocre product, people won't pay for it over mediocre freeware, and
they certainly won't pay for it if there is a reasonable or even
better free product.  That's what Open Source is doing - changing the
playing field.

The days of hobbling together a pile o' junk program, dumping it on
the Doze market, and making a lot of money because people are too
stupid, lazy, or uncaring to check their options, are coming to an
end.  More important, the underlying technology now exists to remove
the *PROPRIETARY* basis for many programs (i.e., the Days of Doze are
numbered).  When combined with real options, pay-for or not, the
world is undergoing a very pleasant change.

Now, if only PMMail would come along for the ride.   Jimmy, I've got
my checkbook ready!!!

John