[pmmail-list] Choosing signatures

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:31:05

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:07:14 -0600 (CST), Maynard Riley wrote:

>I guess that I don't know much about "most people". I do know that I
>easily tire of scrolling down through a ton of quoted lines which I'd
>already read, in order to find new content.

People should trim quoted text quite heavily, the fact that many don't
is because they have not been educated in its advantages.

I like to see a flow of discussion, 'top' posting, as you advocate,
makes this interspersion of quoted and new text break, then a
discussion becomes hard to follow. For me the only reason for adding
comment to the top of a post is when posting something culled from a
news service perhaps, or a web site, with a few introductory comments
at the beginning.

Most of the longer-term residents of Usenet and mailing lists get
rather irate at people (mostly using Microsoft products that are badly
set up and don't let you choose where the .sig goes and put the cursor
at the top of a reply by default) who do this. It's a very quick way to
get yourself ignored in a forum of this nature.

If I can't see to what a top poster is referring easily, I bin the post
and move on.

The convention is that to engage in a forum, one should follow the
customs of said forum.

The reason you are having to use the canned replies to put in your sig
indicates that you're going against the expected behaviour (that PMMail
expects too). I assume that when you hit reply you also have to move
the cursor to the top before you start typing, PMMail expects you to
add comments after the quoted text. All good mail and news clients
expect this to be the case.

Not meaning to rant at you BTW, but things got to be the way they were
(pre-MS) for a reason.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails