[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:12:45 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:29:30 -0800, John Bridges wrote:

>I would kill for one much simpler change, one that could be done in a minute
>or two if BluePrintSoftwareWorks had the whim.....
>
>Always and I mean Always turn on PGP when replying to a PGP'd message.

Why be selective? Turn on PGP for all messages if PGP present and bar
replies to PGP messages if PGP not present. Some users don't use PGP at
all. Some use it selectively. Some use it all the time.

>Simple, but a BRUTAL problem, every week I get back a reply to some
>confidential message with my full text quoted, and the reply is not encrypted
>because someone forgot to click on the PGP button....

I believe that PMMail currently lets you view an encrypted message even if
PGP not present.

>Credit card numbers, email account logins, personal memos, salary info, root
>passwords you name it, and I've seen it spilled out into the open, over and
>over and over!!  All because PMMail always defaults to uncrypted when
>replying to an encrypted message.

Such sensitive information should be sent as an encrypted attachment. It
would be more difficult to include it in any reply and inclusion would not
be by inadvertent failure of the sender to select encryption. Remember
though that once you transmit such information it is no longer within your
control.

>This has always been my #1 complaint in PMMail, and it's never been fixed,
>even though the fix is trivial!  What excuse do I get?  Duh, what if the
>message was from someone you don't have a key for!  Guess what!  You can
>unclick the PGP button, you get a warning!  You would likely want to get that
>persons key before replying anyway!  Why would you ever quote a PGP'd message
>in open text by default!!

Some people never use PGP. If you send an encrypted message to them, they
can only reply unencrypted or not at all.

--
JMO,
/s/~Kris