[pmmail-list] Setting Chars/Line

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:56:34 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 09:09:54 -0500, Dave Hathaway wrote:

> Thus my text is
>  RFC-compliant 70 characters wide regardless of what others do.

Hi Dave.

Not to say that 70 chars does not comply but the RFC is not that
strict. Many unix users whine if a line is over 72 but the RFC says
that the limit is 1000 chars (!) including the <CR><LF> but -should- be
max 80 including <CR><LF>.

The quoting chars, if added to every line, can make lines too wide for
80 char screens if nested quotes proliferate.

This is not a criticism of what you wrote, merely a clarification so
that we don't get somebody thinking you are quoting the "law" and
whinging about my lines that wrap at 72 (or at least that is what PMM
setting say!)

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.