[pmmail-list] Stupid PGP question(s)

Michael Gerdau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:04:59 +0200

>Probably not. However, you should also be aware that some (many?)
>modern operating systems hold data in a swap file or in memory.
>Really sophisticated hackers may be able to steal your keys from
>that. (Or does PGP have a built in mechanism to avoid this?)

No, it has not.

That's why GPG (GNU Privacy Guard - something PMMail should support
if you ask me) does indeed warn on WinNT or W2K (and possibly Win9x
as well) about the computers memory not being safe.

And while we are at it:
the next version of PGP is supposed to be released *without* publishing
the source and Mr Zimmerman isn't involved either.

The truly paranoid among us do suspect that the NSA will have installed
a backdoor...

Wether that's true or not:
IMO relying on (in the near future possibly legally accepted) digital
signature software who's algorithms aren't published are inviting
every interested party to attempt fraud. And the dimension probably
will "outperform" creditcard fraud by magnitudes.

>From my point of view in the not so far future my email client of choice
will support GPG. I'd like it to be PMMail. So please !!!

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/