[pmmail-list] newlines in filters? -- Sircam virus/worm

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:12:23 +0200, xavier caballe wrote:

>I don't understand your comment. Sircam sends an executable file (.EXE,
>.COM, .BAT, .PIF or .LNK). There's no logic to "view" this kind of files,
>since is very unlikely that they will contain any readable information (at
>least on Windows but also on OS/2).

SirCam doesn't need to send an executable. It could be a 'data' file
when using Windows. A data document can be sent to a Windows user and
completely alter the operating characteristics of Windows without any
intervention or knowledge of the user. Try that with OS2. It depends on
the viewer whether an executable file is readable. The point being that
OS2 is object-oriented. It doesn't assume you want to execute it. It
doesn't assume that you want to associate it to a viewer when you use
that viewer to view it. OS2 permits association of files with the same
extension to different programs. It doesn't automatically change or
break associations. Moving a file doesn't break the object link to it.
An operating should not permit a program to alter operating system
characteristics, change, alter, or replace system files without notice
to the user and explicit consent of the user. Windows does. OS2 does
not.

>If you send a "data" document, Windows (and OS/2) will open the associated
>program and this program will open the "data" document. BTW... .BAT files
>are considered as "data" documents... they're not directly executed;
>instead, CMD runs them.

This is true only if you do not RMB on the 'data' document or
executable. Windows offers only 'open' and then makes assumptions based
on extension and association. OS2 permits multiple actions including
viewing without executing or associating.

Virus, worms, and trojans are directed at Windows because Windows is
more vulnerable with a greater number of users.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris