[pmmail-list] .\TEMP\TEMP.RTF - slow performance under win2k

Stefan Kirch pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:15:36 +0200

Hi!

With the help of Ralph Cohen, I got PMMail to work with
normal speed also, if the messages are on a network-drive
and the program is local. The solutions was to patch the
EXE and change .\TEMP\TEMP.RTF to C:\TMP\TEMP.RTF.

While looking with a hex-editor to the PMMailW.EXE, I found
some other occurences of .\temp\temp.XYZ (XYZ = bod|hed|url|...)
So I tried to speed up PMMail more, I changed all .\temp\temp.*
to c:\tmp\temp.*. But then I had the problem, that the body
was not shown correctly, sometimes PMMail crashes and so on.
After looking more detailed in the EXE, I found some positions
where only "temp\temp.bod" appears. So it seems to me, as if
pmmail sometimes uses .\temp\temp.bod and sometimes temp\temp.bod

Jim/Trevor:
It would be great to get a hint, if it's possible, to have all
the temporary stuff beeing saved on a local temporary directory.
Perfect would be, to have this temporary splitting of the messages
in header and body, the conversion to rtf and so on all in memory

If somebody knows another work-around to speed up anymore,
please let me know!

Once again: Thanks Ralph for the hint!

  Steff