[pmmail-list] PMMail New Features List

David M. Nelson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:08:19 -0700

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:35:16 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>Please *don't* use the MS control. I just wished there was a way to NOT
>view HTML and only saw the source. At most, render the text but do NOT
>run any scripts, and do NOT render inline images, at least unless I ask
>for it. (Don't prompt, assuming I want it.) One thing I like about
>PMMail is that I don't have to worry about VBS trojans getting lose on
>my LAN and I don't have to worry about web bugs. I regularly get
>reports of vulnerabilities in IE, and I don't want my mail dragging me
>off to some malicious website.

I agree regarding security. One of the *main* reasons I like PMMail is
that I don't have to worry about intrusive HTML mail.  If I want to
look at a web site, its easy to click on a URI within a message.
Perhaps a good solution that might satisfy all, would be to offer the
user a choice as to which part of a multipart/alternative message they
would like to see.  Note this text clipped from Section 5.1.4 of
RFC2046:

   It may be the case that some user agents, if they can recognize more
   than one of the formats, will prefer to offer the user the choice of
   which format to view.  This makes sense, for example, if a message
   includes both a nicely- formatted image version and an easily-edited
   text version.  What is most critical, however, is that the user not
   automatically be shown multiple versions of the same data.  Either
   the user should be shown the last recognized version or should be
   given the choice.

Now I suspect some HTML mailers are not going to include a plain-text
version, but I suspect that such message are the ones I typically
round-file anyway.

David M. Nelson
<solomani@earthlink.net>