[pmmail-list] PMMail New Features List

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:21:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:28:13 +0200, Martin Jansen wrote:

And I feel the opposite ... that HTML/RTF brings the benefit of "visually" conveying a message that just can't be done with TEXT ...
To me, I liken it to when WordStar/WordPerfect ruled the word processing world ... people complained that it was stupid and wasteful to have
full WYSIWYG capability in a word processer ... that what was important was the writing and not the way it was visually presented on the
display ...

Well ... we all know how things ended up in that market segment ... visual GUI based WP is the defacto standard ...
I don't understand why we can't just have HTML/RTF as a selectable option ... if you don't want it, just turn if off ...

When I go from PMMail on Windows 2000 with all its features ... color options, true hyperlinks, etc, to PMMail on OS2 where everything is just
flat, and straight forward TEXT ... I find the OS2 version to be just a little "boring" ... I know I'll get flamed for saying that but oh well ... it's all
just IMO ...

Besides, I think it's a done deal for PMMail ... BSW wants to remain competitive ...
And that means a certain amount of HTML/RTF support ... without it PMMail will just fade away ...

The one thing I believe we all can agree on is that we don't want to see that happen ...

One more analogy ... I wish that Mozilla for OS2/eCS would just have the browser portion only ... it would be a smaller download ... less of a
memory footprint ... and would probably load and run faster ... and since I don't use the mail, news, and composer features at all I wouldn't
miss it one bit ... but guess what ???  That's not going to happen ... a FULL integrated browser suite is what I get whether I like it or not ...
Bottom line is that if I want a full-featured, modern browser that supports ALL the latest standards I HAVE to put up with Mozilla as it is ...

So I consider that a "small" price to pay ... and I feel the same way about PMMail and HTML/RTF ...
If I want to see PMMail continue to grow and flourish then I need to swallow what I dislike about it and just carry on ...

Greg