[pmmail-list] Another blank message (HTML)

Dave Hathaway pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:49:39 -0500

I haven't commented on this issue, but the embedded message within the
email was really offensive to me:

"If you are reading this message then you have received our message in
an e-mail program that does not accept HTML/Web e-mail messages. If
you would like to receive our messages, please download your future e-
mails with an HTML/Web enabled e-mail program or reply to this message
for further instructions and help. Thank you."

It implies a fault on my end that I choose not to become party to
their selfish and SPAM-centric ways.  I hate HTML email, in part
because it provides a means for SPAMmers to track whether my email is
valid (and to then turn around and resell my now-proven-valid email).
How?  Embed an image that is downloaded from their server and tells
them I have read the mail.  Many, if not most, commercial HTML
messages contain these things, sometimes with a pixel-sized GIF that
you don't even know is there.  HTML mail represents a dangerous
invasion of my privacy.  It should be discouraged instead of
supported.

I think PMMail handles HTML mail sufficiently well by showing me
bolding and other text formatting.  If it starts displaying the images
without me being able to turn them off I will be forced to discontinue
its use.

Dave

bdm@fenrir.demon.co.uk
>              do you know how far this has gone?